Friday, May 18, 2007

well... motorcycle class went well... kinda mad I missed Bible Study tho, then I am also going to miss Sunday morning Sunday School, and possibly worship. But I may as well get it done with. If I really want a motorcycle this is probably the best way to get moving in that direction. Josh is taking it at the same time as me, so thats cool. Once I finish the class I can go to DMV and get my license with out taking the DMV behind the handlebars test. I would really like to get a cruiser bike, thus making long trips less of a pain and more enjoyable, but a sport bike would be cool too. So anyways...

Those of you who don't know, my job is me driving around the greater OC area delivering, picking-up, and installing various signs & sign materials. So while I drive I see a lot of different things. Especially how vain some people are about their cars.

Like this one.
I mean how can anyone be so vain as to think "Everyone has to know what year my car is! So I'll get a personalized plate stating such fact." Who cares... So this person spends extra money each year to so people how old his car is getting and how lame they are.

Then there are the cars that are not that "cool" per se.

Come on now... Rims, graphics(poorly done by the way), clear tail lights on a family van... Why? What will doing this accomplish? All I see happening is you wasting a lot of money so people like me can point and laugh.

Then theres the people who just don't care.


I think this is my favorite, because why not take the 10 seconds to to pick some of the garbage off your car...

Then I got to thinking about it... In what ways am I vain? I don't primp and preen in the mirror (some of ya'll may be able to tell that), I don't really try to "bling" out my truck... The way it is is the way I bought it, except the radio.
Then
I look at myself and wonder about all this random crap that I own. What good is it? Can I use random Coke memorabilia in Heaven? So why did I spend money on it? Just so I could say I have it and brag about it I guess... It's some pretty neat stuff, at least in coke collector circles it is.
So I did a word search on
Bible Gateway for vain. and found Ecclesiastes 2. And this chapter basically sums it up. "...for all is vanity and is like grasping for the wind." Now I have to see what I can do to be less vain and more Christ focused. Don't spend money on stuff I'll never use. As Matthew 6:19-20 says:


19
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;
20
but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Well I gotta get to work, I might be having a yard sale soon... or a big eBay marathon of selling. we'll see. Thanks for reading.
And please pray for Josh and I as we go to this motorcycle class, I would very much not like to die. But if I did, it wouldn't be so bad.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Well I gotta get to work, I might be having a yard sale soon... or a big eBay marathon of selling."

Yeah I did the same thing shortly after I posted my "Cast it from you" ... post. I still have some DVD's that have to go, but I'm working my way to freeing myself of things that distract me from Christ and His beauty.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.