Friday, June 8, 2007

Today I was driving around for deliveries and started thinking, for me this can be dangerous... I am not very good at doing too many things at one time...

I was thinking, "You know how people ask you, 'So who's you hero, and why?'" I thought to myself.

My grandpa(passed away January '06) is my hero. He was a man who found God in everything. Taught that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. That no one goes to the Father except by believing in Jesus as their Lord and Saviour. He taught Sunday School, he helped my grandma in the church library, he used his engineering talents to build and fabricate many different things around the house. Everything he did he gave to the Glory of God. At Christmas Eve every year he would read from the 2nd chapter of Luke, then would explain the scripture and what it meant/means to us. I regret never really listening, I will never hear it again. But thats alright, he is in heaven having a fantastic time. And one day I hope we will both be there to praise God together with all the others who have gone home to be with Christ.

Then I was thinking, "Gee... Grandpa was a lot like John the Baptist. He proclaimed God's grace and mercy and forgiveness, all that was needed was repentance and faith." Then I thought, "John the Baptist is my hero." John's unashamed proclamation of salvation in the coming Christ. He didn't care how he was dressed, how dirty he was(but with a name like Baptist, he was probably pretty squeaky clean, and pruney), he didn't care that he couldn't cut his hair, ate locusts and honey for food. He didn't care that he was blunt and to the point, no dancing around it... I admire that. His only goal was to reach the people to get them to repent, and to realize the Messiah was coming(and had actually come).

I want that unabashed faith in God, to proclaim His plan for our salvation through Christ Jesus. I want to be more John the Baptist like in my ability to talk to others about Christ. I want to be bold for God. Unwavering, unashamed and shouting God's grace and mercy to all those around me.

If any of ya'll have actually talked to me, you know that I am very much the opposite of John the Baptist in terms of openness to others about anything.

So today my prayer is that God would give me the strength to overcome my fears of others, and my fears of expressing my faith, and give me the strength and knowledge to share with others.

Now don't get me wrong, there is a difference in a hero and The Saviour

So am I allowed to have two heroes? Grandpa and John the Baptist?

I only want one Saviour.

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FAITH starts the end of August! I want to see you there!

Paul said...

Thanks mysterious stranger.

I have been really thinking about it.

And you were up really late reading my blog. Thanks for reading though.

Maybe I'll see you at FAITH, unless your out fighting crime that night, Capitán Misterio...

Zoogirl said...

I am so Proud of you Paul. I am really at aw in how much you have grown and your hunger for the word and God. I love you and miss you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro I am also so proud of the man you have become. You are such awsom uncle to little Paul, Bo, Samuel, James and Kristyn(I know she's a little far away to be to awsom to but I know that you would be) God has really blessed me with a brother that can inspire me and bring me to tears in just his words. Love you Miss you rachael